Sunday, January 29, 2012

Amazing

I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I am amazed by the editing process. 

I sent off two chapters of 'Blue' that I swear were complete. But I had this niggling feeling. I hate niggling feelings. I remembered someone had commented on one of the tests that our hero/heroine must pass. Said I was showing and not telling. So I went back to that chapter, even though I'd already sent it out, and re-read it. Sure enough, I did show. So I thought on how I'd tell what happened. When I did that, and added some dialogue, the scene got so much better, more intense, more compatible with the rest of the story.

This goes back to the listening thing, too. As a writer, I've got to keep my eyes and ears open. There are so many ways to tell things. I must continue listening, paying attention, and using comments and such as a tool. The way they are supposed to be used.

Life is intriguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment