Monday, May 7, 2012

Songs That Touch My Writing

Israel Ka'ano'i Kamakawiwo'ole
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=y5JicO2bKec

I can't believe I found this singer. His 'Over The Rainbow' makes me cry every time I hear it. When I have to kill off a character or put my character through some difficult times. I listen to IZ.


Credance Clearwater makes a blank page sing. The Beatles - well I won't tell you what I write when I'm listening to them, but it's fun. Randy Newman is perfect for humor and laughter and lightness. The Beastie Boys make for adventure. Enya is perfect for those tender moments.

If I get stuck, along with that mantra I now must speak with every breath (Trust - the words will come), I pull up Pandora and hit the station that I need for that scene - and I'm in business.

Try it. It's easy enough. It might work for you. I can't abide silence, but thankfully, I can write in silence, too.

IZ is dead now. So many songs lost to us.

Don't stop writing. You have stories to tell. I do, too. Keep smiling.

Life is stunning.

4 comments:

  1. Music helps me a lot with writing, also, but I can't listen to music with words or it distracts me. I have a couple of instrumental pieces that never fail to get me going, and I listen to them over and over as I write. I also do well listening to radiorivendell.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pandora is great for writing. My most frequently used stations for writing are my Christmas station and my Styx station. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same way-- gotta have some tunes for writing. Usually I pick a few songs for each character... But I know if you did that you'd have years-long playlists!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ROTFL - Yes, Pen, the playlists would be huge!

    ReplyDelete