Friday, February 11, 2011

When To End A Chapter

Good grief, I know this seems basic. I've got a great Chapter Twelve -- but the darn thing is only about 600 words. Now, I know some folk like to vary the length of their chapters, but I like to keep mine kind of neat and consistent.

So the quandary becomes - do I add filler - If done well, another side scene can add a lot to a chapter. But the testing has gone on since Chapter Nine and I've got the whole rest of the afternoon to write about yet. I don't want to drag out the testing too long. Though I don't find it boring, I think some might.

Well - I think I'll not stop where it's dramatically wonderful to stop - but continue on until I've gotten closer to the 1200 to 1300 word chapter that I'm comfortable with. I'm sure my Muse will find another 'dramatic' moment for the ending of the chapter.

Life is interesting, isn't it!

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how you find yourself wondering how in the world a chapter is going to be "fixed" and suddenly it's there. Today, I had a chapter I had to completely rewrite (I have another document I put it in to save it), then I look at what can be salvaged and re-work it bit by bit. I much prefer what I have now! I look forward to hearing about your success!

    ReplyDelete