Friday, February 4, 2011

All right, I'm easily astounded...

I am - it seems learning never stops and tiny little things you've heard or learned long ago take on new meanings.

Now that I'm honing POV skills, I'm learning that other senses need to be addressed. I've always been able to go to the 'heart' of my characters, and been fairly good at scene and character descriptions. However, I rarely remember that smell and hearing can play huge parts. It's fun to see this.

In one scene, I had put the scent of deer and then the scent of water and my editor, in gentle terms, suggested I use the sound of water instead. One little change made the scene better. As I said, such fun.

There are so many things associated with writing that a neophyte like me doesn't know. Or perhaps doesn't understand the significance. I'm so glad I've discovered this. I'd been planning on attending more workshops and conventions, but now I see that it's incredibly important. Even one tiny lesson can make a scene, chapter, book incredible.

Life is good. Enjoy!

PS - I did look at chapters 8 and 9 and they are ready for my editor. Now onto 10.

1 comment:

  1. I have trouble remembering to use all the senses, too! And to use them to their best advantage. Good for you for preparing two more chapters!

    ReplyDelete