Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Self-publishing


I watched a history detective show tonight. http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/

Called ‘Exercise Records’ -- One of the ‘cases’ they cracked was of an entrepreneur in 1920 who came out with the first exercise records (for use on a record player) for women and set to music (Wallace).

The fascinating thing about this, to me, is that the records were what the industry called ‘vanity pressings.’ The man who developed the exercises went to Columbia Phonographic Company and paid them to press the records. Then, Mr. Wallace went out and sold them. Eventually, it looks like he sold over 50,000 copies around the entire nation. A pretty good accomplishment for that day and age. Even for today!

I found this rather eye-opening. It seems that ‘self publishing’ was used long before I ever thought and for many different mediums.

Just a ramble here about life. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Seems like things go in cycles. I oughtn’t be surprised. If I keep an open mind, I’ll end up right back where I started from. *g*

Another thing that just cracks me up… I worked at a company who decided that women were now the new purchasers in the home and that the company should direct its advertising towards women. This in the 1990’s. A little late. A little short-sighted. Wallace would have told them, if they’d listen! ROTFL

Life is ever-changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment