Monday, September 26, 2011

Conference Notes

Added some 'best speakers' at the bottom of my webpage. 

Really great conference. I'm thinking one of the reasons why I thought so is because my critique went well. Always puts a little sunshine on the rest of life!

The critique went well to a degree. Now, I have this tendency to not be able to look a gift horse in the mouth. The author liked what I'd written (only got to give her ten pages per conference protocol). She was very personable and wanted to find out why I was writing. She nodded quite a bit. She loved the green sky and the purple blades of grass falling down upon Bryan's head.

After I explained some more of the story line, she said I should just disregard what she'd written. She said I needed to get more of the 'rest' of the story into the first ten pages. I understood what she was saying. Little hints. She did like what she had read, but realized that it truly wasn't a representation of what the book itself was about. She liked what she heard about the 'real' book. I wonder if the response would have been the same if she'd been able to read the first thirty pages? 

I meet with my writers group tomorrow. We'll discuss our critiques from the week-end. That should help.

I had to leave the conference early due to some health issues. I was so bummed out because the speakers were all excellent. 

Life can be painful.

1 comment:

  1. So glad it was a good experience! Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete