Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Euphemisms


Those who continue to read here know that I have a problem with certain words…

One is editor. I’ve learned that I can successfully accept, and respond to with enthusiasm, any critiquing done by my editor if I think of her as my coach. I don't know why this works, but it does.

Outlines:  Ah, I’ve hated outlines since primary school. But a friend lent me a good book (Thanks, But This Isn’t For Us/Morrell) and I find another euphemism that might work for me…. Architecture. The author states that a story must have a good floor plan in order to hold up the rest of the building, so to speak. This makes a lot of sense to me.

I’m going to go to ‘Blue’ and draw up a floor plan for the rest of the story. I’m at the Midpoint now. This floor plan will ensure the foundation and the subsequent rest of the building. It should make the unveiling spot on!

I know – I have to lie to myself – but if it works, it works.

Life is subterfuge.

1 comment:

  1. You're a wordsmith! We fight for each and every word, to find exactly the right one. Architecture is a good word choice. It's far more inspiring, and creates a whole picture, unlike 'outline' that sounds... flat.

    ReplyDelete