Thursday, August 4, 2011

Wishing and Hoping

So many of my years were spent in fairytale-like wishing. Nowadays, I try very hard to discourage my own little one from such thoughts. Life is too much fun if you give it a chance. If you sit around wishing, it's quite dull. Even sad.

Today, even with all this tremendous knowledge, I found myself wishing to see some giraffes. Now, as I've explained before, I have seen giraffes everywhere since I sent my MS to the publishing houses. Today was no exception. First thing in the morning, I was watching TV for the weather and there they were - twice. Giraffes. Unbidden. Unwished for.

So later today, I was at the science museum with the little one and there were pictures of elephants and wildebeests and chimpanzees. So I thought, OK - good place to see giraffes. None came. I started wishing for giraffes. None came.

It finally dawned upon me - wishing will not get something done. Now, I'm not that dense that this very thought hasn't come to me hundreds of times before, but I am slow and need refreshing - the good old F5 button.

The same is true with writing. I know it is. If I sit at my computer and wish I could write something, nothing will happen. Same is true with my trusty, rusty yellow pad.

BUT - if I sit down and 'know' that I'm going to write - I do. No excuses need be made when that moment finally comes. I love the Muse.

Life is stirring.

No comments:

Post a Comment