Thursday, August 18, 2011

In-Store Writing

Watched a pundit the other night on the Daily Show. He was talking about books and the demise of Borders and such. To combat the internet, he said instead of store signings by authors, we should have in-store writing sessions. He suggested writers sit at a table and write while the public mills about. Those who are fans of the writer's books can continuously interrupt, wondering when the next book will be completed. Those who aren't fans can throw food.

I am surprised, only mildly, that none in the writing world seem to worry, publicly, about what is happening in the world of books. The conferences I attend do not speak to the issue. Hiding one's head in the sand? 

Are we writing for naught? Will the day of the book pass by and we be left holding the proverbial bag? 

There are negotiations for higher pay for ebooks. I hope that continues. 

As for myself, I can't stop writing. It would be like not breathing. 

ROTFL - I suppose it would mean the end of submitting and marketing. Which would be a great lessening of a burden many authors hate.

I hope, with all my heart, that the next generation will know the joy of holding a book in hand and reading. I've seen folk with the notepads and such. I would like to have one when traveling. So much easier than trying to turn a page while sitting in a cramped airplane seat.

However, nothing could replace the warmth and joy and soul-tingling excitement of reading in bed, the book heavy in hand, my granddaughter snuggled next to me, relishing each chapter. Or in a coffee shop, wiping away the crumbs of a bear claw.

Life is too much fun to give up one iota.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, it depends on who you hang out with; for example, RWA talks a great deal about the writing industry, and where it's going. I love to hold a book in my hands. I don't really want to do the self-publishing route because I KNOW I'm not market smart, but my self-help book doesn't really fit anywhere. We'll see how it goes. And yes, writing is breathing. :-)

    ReplyDelete