Friday, June 1, 2012

Returning To Editing

I'm so close to being able to finish writing the next chapter of 'Blue.' I've got some written, and now have a clear idea of what's going to happen next. Always a plus! *g*


As I discussed a few posts ago, listening to reviews and critiques is great, but I must stay true to myself. I received the critiques back from last week-ends conference. They were (blushes) really encouraging and full of heartfelt enthusiasm for what I had written. 


'Sorrysorrysorry' had few additions/corrections to it. I'm not even sure if I will make them. The critiquer suggested I add a stanza of all the animals looking on as the giraffes play, but I'm not sure. I'll have to think long and hard about it. There were NO corrections to the poetry. Phew! Changing poetry can be daunting and I've been daunted long enough with this one. 


My goal for next week will be to find publishers to send it to and sending it off to at least four. That's my goal. *crosses fingers, buckles on sword*


As for 'Blue.'  I'd only sent eight pages but there were an awful lot of strike throughs. I was a bit daunted when I saw the marked pages. Thankfully, the critiquer did not use red ink! Once I got over the dauntingness of the pages *g* I saw the changes were great. Mostly taking out a word here, shoring up a phrase there. Gentle little things that definitely cleaned up the chapter. The critiquer liked the characters, the setting, the voices... all really important 'little' things. She wants a little bit more description of settings, but that's easy enough to do. I've got the settings emblazoned in my mind. I was told by one critiquer that there was too much description. LOL. I'll have to insert just enough. I'm glad though. Personally, I felt the absence. She also wanted more of Kathleen's brother, but he's only in the first chapter. We don't see him again until probably Chapter 38 or 39. (maybe even 40 *g*). Best thing was, she said she wanted to read more! That's always a good thing. In fact, it's a very good thing. *g*


I was definitely encouraged by both critiquers. I have learned that editing is an extremely important part of writing, that listening to others thoughts on my writing can be creative expanding, and that I still must stay the course. 


My editor, bless her little heart, said to not worry about the two endings. She said listen to my characters. They'll tell me how to end it. I am feeling more confident because of that comment. Such a little thing. Such a positive thing. 


Life is daunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment