Sunday, October 9, 2011

Due North

I think a wee apology is necessary from me to my neighbors to the north. That would be Canada. Or perhaps even further, the Arctic Circle. No - it's Canada.

My book, 'Blue' - the wizards come from the north. Their land is in the north. 

I'm not the only one who should be apologizing, though. I've noticed a trend. -- Other books - Tolkien has his baddies dwelling in the north (Angband). Cinda Chima's baddies live in the north, too.(The Gray Wolf series) The White Witch's Castle from Narnia is located in the north. I could go on - you probably could add quite a few, too.

Blame the Bible, folks. It's not me. Jeremiah 1:14 - Then the LORD said unto me, Out of the north an evil shall break forth upon all the inhabitants of the land.

Now - I do NOT believe that Canadians are evil or bad or war-mongers. But we writers have to have someplace for the baddies to come from. I think that tradition, probably based upon the Biblical tome, likes to put the onus on the lands of the north.
Personally - I like Canada. I love Toronto. And my son and his wife adore Quebec. 

My baddies, as a matter of fact, are from -- hmm, I've not given the place a name. BUT -- it's NOT Canada!

Ok - folks - I need a name for the home of the bad wizards. Help me out here!

Life is cold.

PS - I KNOW where I dwell is north of lots of folks. I'm not bad - honest!!!

1 comment: