Sunday, June 26, 2011

Friends and the Lottery

Too hard to find good ones. Too hard to win one.

Met with Cheryl from the Writer's Ink group. She gave me two hours of her time today. Bless her. She'd done some research too and brought it with her. A great asset, this woman, and I hope to continue to develop our friendship. (She'll be wanting a 'thank you' in the acknowledgments section! And she'll get it.)

She mentioned the lottery and I had to laugh. I had been thinking about this publishing thing, and the slush piles that sit on publishers/editors desks. If anything is like a lottery, it is that!

Winning the lottery, finding the perfect man, having a best friend, winning that dream vacation, losing fifty pounds in time for 'that' wedding, being a successful writer. I'm sure you can think of more. 

I suppose my chances of being published are a wee bit better than my chances for winning the lottery, but I shiver when I think of those slush piles. I do have talent. I know that. I must continue to hone my patience skills and keep my courage from flagging. And submit, submit, submit. It's like the lottery - if you don't buy a ticket, you can't win. If I don't submit, I can't get published.

Didn't have a chance to get the MS to my daughter today. I will tomorrow. My friend helped me re-write the cover letter. She had some great thoughts. The first one, and one I've known about, is not to send a 'blind' letter. "But darn it all," I exclaim, "I can't find names at the publishers websites." "Call them," she says. Ok, I can do that.

Life is taking a chance.

1 comment:

  1. Oh. I hadn't thought of calling them. You have a good team in your corner.

    ReplyDelete