Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Letting Go


I was told, by a friend to remember when I first learned how to ride a bike without training wheels. I was scared to death when my dad let go… but I stayed up – not straight – but at least the bike didn’t fall and I didn’t fall off it.

A leap of faith – from not trusting myself – afraid I’ll fall and kill myself – to trusting myself. Once I took that leap, that step of faith, I never looked back. I reveled in riding my bike!

Writing’s like that. I’m in the midst of writing and I stop. Ideas flee. Fears and uncertainties creep in. I wonder if what I’ve written is any good. I wonder if it’s boring. I wonder if anyone will read it. I wonder if my characters are real. Are the names good? Is the landscape right? Is the arc effective? Is there a good beginning? A good middle? A good ending? So many things to consider.

Yet – there is that supreme moment of excitement – when I continue to write, when I press forward, when I defeat the fears and uncertainties. Oh – that is exhilarating.

I finished my little picture book about giraffes. I sent it off to a couple friends for their input. I’ll send it to my writers’ group next week. My editor will get it at the same time.

I kept it couplets, but the meter works now. Hurray! I broke it into three different parts. There is a non-poetry part at the end of each section. I hope it works.

No – it works for me. Once I get the feedback, make sure my verbs and nouns are strong ones, check the spelling and the formatting, I’ll send it out.

I was in the library the other day and found books that were similar to mine and wrote down the publishers. So now I’ve got a pretty nice list. I’m only sending it to three publishers at a time.

I’ll let you know when the cover letter is done and the MS is sent out.

Life is exhilarating.

No comments:

Post a Comment