Friday, October 5, 2012

Knowledge Sharing

Honestly, I know I said I was using this blog as a kind of 'what my life as a practicing writer is like.' But I saw this program on PBS the other night. It was based on a book called, Half the Sky. An incredible book and an incredible documentary, about turning oppression into opportunity for the women of the world.  http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/half-the-sky/

One of the interviewees said that she had to share her knowledge with those about her. I thought that was a terrific idea. In today's culture, we are told to think first of ourselves, to think 'what's in it for me.' But these women give and give of themselves in atmospheres of horror and heartbreak.

So I've kind of vowed that I'm going to try to do that too. In a small way. In my own backyard, so to speak. I promise I will share what I learn about writing with you. I will still write of my struggles and triumphs as I write 'Blue' and other things. As I forge forward to publish them. In each blog, I promise I will write something. Most times it will probably be just a one or two line thingee - not sure what I'll find to share with you. But I'm going to trust and know that even tiny little things can change the life / writing / hope for a friend.

So - that's today's little lesson. Sharing is awesome. Helping another writer to become successful or even just proud of what she's done is worth it. Fear is counterproductive. It keeps us away from each other. It keeps us from growing. It keeps us from sharing. And sharing makes your skin younger. Honest. Well, that's my own theory.

Enough said. I won't share about my writing on this post (though it went extremely well). I'll share some more about that tomorrow. As well as some stuff I learned from my SCBWI bulletin.

Life is exquisite.

No comments:

Post a Comment