Tuesday, October 9, 2012

#3 Discipline

I started this blog to learn discipline. I thought if I wrote every day, or as near to that as possible, that I would learn discipline. And I have. Thankfully. Still, aways to go with it, but I hope I'll be learning 'til the day I die.

Ending a book is extremely difficult, I think. Knowing that I'm on the last chapters, the last words, makes me antsy. I want to skip things. I want to write quick. I want it to end. 

This would spell doom for 'Blue.' All this time spent crafting the tale and the characters and the world. Why would I want to sully it with a poorly written or shoddy ending? 

I'll tell you why. I'm excited that it's almost done. I want to do everything possible to have this under my belt, so to speak. I'd do anything to push it along, to make it end quickly.

Poor characters. They are howling. 'Stop!' they shout. 'We want more. We want to know why this happened, what will become of us, will there be a happy ending?'

I owe it to myself, my readers, and my characters to take it slow. One word at a time. One scene at a time. One event at a time. 

There is so much more that I can do to flesh out these last chapters. And I deserve to have a fully-fleshed-out tale. I know I do.

So good old discipline and I will take hands and hold onto each other until the tale is really and truly finished. To my satisfaction and my characters.

Life is jaw-ripping action.

No comments:

Post a Comment