Monday, October 8, 2012

#2 Listen

The powers that be advise writers to read their works out loud. I have found that to be quite beneficial. 

I found this great site from UNC (one of my favorite colleges - the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill). I think you'll get a kick out of the reasons for reading out loud that are part of this article. 
http://writingcenter.unc.edu/handouts/reading-aloud/ 

The reason it was brought to mind was because I read a piece late last night that dripped of the overuse of one particular word. I sat back, after finishing the first paragraph, and couldn't help but consider how repetition can really destroy a work. Not the repetition of an idea, or a line in poetry, but the repetition of a word that the author seems to have absolutely fallen head-over-heels for.

To me, the most important thing about reading out loud, or having someone else read my MS, is that I 'hear' things that I wouldn't if I were reading in my mind. Like using a word too often. Does that make sense?

I was taught to be a proofreader and I'm pretty good at it. I usually don't have problems with punctuation and such. It's the little things that trip me up. Like writing trip four times in a three-sentence paragraph. Even if I've read and re-read the paragraph, I often times miss the fact that trip tripped me. BUT - when I read it out loud, the word trip jumps at me, in fact, it trips me up and I 'see' it for what it is. A word used too oft. Nothing worse. Well, not much worse.

Nothing to report on 'Blue' today. I was busy reading other folks works. Having a great time with some beloved characters. Enough of a break. I'm on the last few chapters of 'Blue' and starting to get antsy over the thought of being so close to finishing. I'm wallowing in the joy of it. The hope of finishing this book. 

Life is good.



No comments:

Post a Comment