Saturday, May 18, 2013

Compassion

I've been thinking about the 'pay-it-forward' concept lately. Especially as it regards writers. I don't see if, often. Unless their is a dollar associated with it. I am not trying to sound cynical, but you all know of what I speak. A conference, a workshop, an author visit, all entail the giving over of money. I, above all else, understand that money is needed to live. Shees!

I am trying, in my own small way, to pay-it-forward. I've been blessed to be able to attend a few conferences and workshops. I like to put on here what I learned. I don't 'give up' the details of talks and such, but I do give a quick synopsis and my own impressions and what I've learned.

I also started meeting with a friend to help her with her dialogue. It has turned into an incredible friendship. I learn from her as much as she from me.

As this publishing process goes on, though I don't think I'll share who I send my MS to, I plan on sharing every part of the blasted process. From pulling my hair out to crying my eyes out (hopefully, it won't come to that).

As I've said, so far this year, I've sent out 'Sorrysorrysorry' to two publishing houses. I waited til I got a reply from the first and then sent it out to the second. I have the next victim already lined up. But I wrote 'exclusive' at the top of the cover letter for the second publisher and plan on waiting for a month before I send it out to the next publishing house.

I have created a spreadsheet and I'm marking down who I send it out to and who responds. 

Life is cryptic.

PS - found this fun periodic table. 
http://lotrproject.com/projects/periodictable/

No comments:

Post a Comment