Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Good News / Bad News

A diagnosis I received a few days ago just didn't seem right to me. The doctor's explanations didn't fit. I was confused and ready to start getting angry. 

So I went to the lab where the tests were taken and spoke with the lab technician. Long story short. There must have been some miscommunication between the doctor and her assistant and what the assistant told me. The diagnosis was not dire. 

Doctors need to take a creative writing class or two... or three. She didn't understand the importance of words. More and more, I am grateful for the lessons I am learning as I write. The lessons that help me communicate more succinctly. 

Be that as it may, I got a rejection letter. Thankfully, I didn't open it. Didn't even see it, cause I was home late and didn't open it until Sunday. A blessing. I had a decent night's sleep. Which I wouldn't have gotten had I opened the letter. 

I am extremely grateful, though it was a form letter, to receive any acknowledgement whatsoever. I am told that many publishing houses do not send out letters anymore, unless they are sending out a contract. I knew it wasn't a contract. Too large. Too heavy. It was my MS and the letter.

I spent some time mourning the rejection. But I've got the next letter ready. I'm hoping to send it and the MS out tomorrow. 

I had to totally rewrite Chapter Twenty-nine of 'Blue.' My editor made a huge suggestion. I crossed out a truckload of the original story and put in what she suggested. It was a good suggestion. She had me bring a character from the past into the story again. It really upped the tension level. IMHO.

Night is falling and I'm off to sleep. Perchance to dream.

Oh - I'm presenting at the Skyline meeting. Chapters Nine and Ten of 'The Other Side.' I haven't looked at this story in over a month. It was good rereading it again. It is a sound story. I'm pleasantly surprised and grateful. 

Life is a circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment