Thursday, April 18, 2013

Promps

My Wednesday afternoon writers' group spends the first fifteen minutes writing. Well, I know that doesn't sound strange, but it is. Some writers' groups only critique. Some only read and share books about writing. Some just giggle. Our inestimable leader gives us a paper with three prompts on it. We get to chose which one we'll try. 

I'm not a journal - er nor a memoir -er. I write made up stuff. But I love these prompts. They bring hidden memories to my frontal lobe. I am transported back to some event in my childhood or early adulthood. I find this awesome. I don't have a good memory. My sister does. She can remember what we ate on the morning of my fifth birthday. I swear she can. But me, I don't know why, but I can't remember much.

These prompts sneak into my brain and I suddenly remember. I feel connected to my self and to my family again.

Some people don't like writing to a prompt. I can understand. They're hard to do. I found, the first time I ever did one, that I was enthralled by the process. I didn't think I could write things besides fantasy. I can. *g* 

I had to leave the writers' group for awhile and when I came back, I was surprised that my brain didn't want to write anything about any of the prompts. I had serious writer's block, something I'd never had before. It wasn't a good feeling. I pushed on and wrote something. The next week it was easier, and the week after that and so on and so on. 

I'm glad I stayed with the group. I'm glad I pushed myself. For two reasons: the memory recall of my past, and the feeling of accomplishment when I write something I would never, in a million years, even consider writing. I think it's making me a better writer!

Life is pushing myself forward. 

PS - Boston strong. Holding them up along with those in West, Tx.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you! I hate prompts because the next thing I know I have another story idea. I really don't need another one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am finding I really like prompts. So much so that I'm doing so many that I am neglecting my other things. If I could keep them short, it would be better, but all my prompts turn into epics of their own, it seems! I try to at least make them part of my writing universe, so then it feels like I'm staying somewhat on track. I'm glad your prompt writing is serving the purpose of recalling memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Judy. I try to sit on story ideas. I don't have the time nor the energy to be doing more than editing 'Blue' and writing 'The Other Side' and sending out 'Sorrysorrysory.' Shees!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are great with prompts. Too great. I'm still waiting for a couple endings to stories you're writing. But I do love the surprises when you post a newbie.

    ReplyDelete