Thursday, September 13, 2012

Mimics

So many times we're told that stories mimic life. And it is true most times. Sometimes, life is beyond anything that we can read in stories. Things we cannot imagine occur. 

Horrors are upon us once again. Intolerance devours sane people like some great dragon, mouth agape and saliva dripping. The drops are blood. The blood of those from the land we love and from other lands. 

One of my favorite hymns uses the music of Finnish composer, Silbelius. It is a hauntingly beautiful hymn that never ceases to make me weep when I hear it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDXNHPeRB0k&feature=related   The lyrics are here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_My_Song_(1934_song)

This is the first verse:

This is my song, O God of all the nations,
A song of peace for lands afar and mine.
This is my home, this country where my heart is;
Here are my hopes, my dreams, my sacred shrine.
But other hearts in other lands are beating,
With hopes and dreams as true and high as mine.

I was taught, from birth and forward, that God smiles and loves and cherishes all those in creation. I believe it with all my heart. I mourn for those diplomats and guards who were lost. I mount those from 9/11. I mourn those in every war that we have been a part of.  And I mourn for those who's lands those wars and atrocities and horrors flow over. 

I know that this hymn has different words. I think the original Finnish is fairly different.

But the thing that I want to share with you, is not what words they are, but what these mean. Other hearts are beating with love and dreams and hope -- just as much as mine is.

I pray our hearts beat as one some day - and soon.

Blessings,
Sharron

No comments:

Post a Comment