Saturday, April 9, 2011

A Conundrum

I had to laugh during the week-end conference. I knew I was very happy with listening to Les Roberts and learning from his years of experience.

I also knew my opinion of him would probably change once he critiqued my piece.

I sent the first 20 pages of 'Blue' to Les before the conference. He read them and we met on Saturday. (Before that, while in the kitchen getting a glass of water, I heard him tell another writer -  don't quite your day job. I was worried!)

Les spent ten minutes with me. He said he liked my writing style. Then - the **** hit the fan, so to speak. He said that he hadn't a clue, after the 20 pages, as to what the story was about. It took him quite some time to realize that it was a fantasy tale.

Mind you - the first two paragraphs of chapter one are all about the green sky, the yellow dirt, the purple grass, the pink water. I sat before him, dumbfounded that he thought that it was anything BUT a fantasy.

Secondly, he said he thought I had the perfect opportunity to really hit my readers with the humor of the situation - this 14-year old abused princess who magically transforms into a boy in order to save her world. I failed to understand what part of this story was humorous. I must admit, some of the situations she faces as a boy are humorous, but to take the whole thing and make it a comedy? Boggles my mind.c

A writer friend of mine tsk tsk'd. She said I always seem to pick the wrong reviewer for my stuff. Les is an adult mystery writer. My story is a YA fantasy. She's probably right.

Enough said. I do value Les' comments and especially his sharing.

Life is good - if a bit flummoxing.

2 comments:

  1. If a person isn't a SciFi/Fantasy reader, they don't GET IT. I remember when Dune came out as a movie, and people I knew who loved movies hated it. Those who loved SciFi, even if they'd never read Dune, loved it.

    ReplyDelete