Friday, February 28, 2014

Persistent Tenacity

Is that an oxymoron? I love figures of speech.

I have not, nor will I ever, give up on 'Nothing But Blue Skies'. There was a period there, this deep and dark winter, when giving up seemed the right thing to do. No - not the right thing but the only thing. I'd given up on Kathleen and Kaspar and the hope of ever finishing editing this book.

However, something in the middle of the night said to me, "Sharron. 'Blue is good'. Kathleen's story needs to be told. Pick it up again and forge ahead. Never, never, never give up." (I can't believe I'm quoting Winston Churchill.)

'When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then --- for this is just the place and time that the tide will turn.' Harriet Beecher Stow. 
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/never_give_up.html

I started reading 'Blue' out loud a couple nights ago. Then I spoke with my buddy D who said she'd love to listen to it. Tonight we started. I read aloud the first seven chapters. We both loved it. She gave me a couple hints of some places to condense, but aside from that, the chapters and the story are strong. Next time we get together, we're going to read out loud again. Until we finish the book. I know there are going to be a couple chapters that have some weak parts in them, but they are not insurmountable parts. 

Phew! I wipe my brow in exhausted satisfaction. I will complete the editing of 'Blue' and then I will send her out by summertime. I think June would be a nice month for looking for an agent. *g*

As for 'Sorrysorrysorry' - I'm going to send a follow-up email to the publisher I sent it to three weeks ago. With a gentle reminder. 

I can't sit on my duff anymore and hope without doing anything. Well, you know I've been doing things, but I have to prioritize and the completed children's picture book is #1. 'Blue' is #2. and 'The Other Side' is #3. I think that's enough for this month. *g*

I am excited to be up and about my work. It's extremely difficult, being an author, being a creative person in a snow-covered mess of a land. The frigid cold (they've dubbed it 'the polar vortex') is upon us and the temps will be below 0 degrees F. Pippin and I will snuggle together and enjoy the night.

Blessings.

Life is tenacity persisting.

PS - I've got a buddy whose whole family is suffering from a bout of norovirus, including twin three-month olds. Please lift them up. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment