Sunday, February 16, 2014

Mind Games

Or the stories that just won't sleep.

Due to doctor's orders, I am trying to go to bed earlier and sleeping at least seven hours. Yeah. Right. I am trying. So Friday night I went to bed at about 1 am. I have a midnight marketing job that I spend an hour on and then I jump into bed. Computer's in the same room as my bed - that makes it easy to jump into bed. Be that as it may - I went to bed about 1 am and tried to sleep. My mind refused. The Muse was wide awake and had another story she wants me to write. Honestly, I've got two in the hopper and one out to publishers and  another one that's just in the beginning phase and she wants me to write another!!!! Sorry about the multiple !'s - my Muse made me do it. *g*

Sleep would not come. I tossed and turned and listened to the Muse's story. It was a fun one. A children's chapter book. Lighthearted and intriguing. The Muse told me the whole story - beginning, middle and end. There were parts missing but the crux of the tale was there and I liked it. I put to memory the title and the story and, blessed be the powers that be, I fell asleep.

I met today with friends to try to crank up my writing machine. Of course, I brought 'Nothing But Blue Skies' and 'The Other Side' with me. I made a mistake and told my fellow partners in crime about the 'new' story and one wise friend said, 'If you want to write it, write that one instead of working on the others.' She didn't have to twist my arm.

However, as the Muse is likely to do, she changed the story. I began to write with the fun title and the subtitle and then.... the story, from the first sentence, turned dark. I wrote four pages and none of the words were anything like the story the Muse tricked me with the night before. Blasted Muse. I like the story. I like the premise - two children who find their father is having an affair and want to 'save' their mother - only to discover their father is a spy. Ah the joys of life. The tricksy of the Muse. I haven't a clue as to where this story is going. I don't like to begin a story without knowing the ending. *heavy sigh* But the story is dark enough and thrilling enough that it has captivated me. I'll work on it a bit and let you know what happens.

Of course, 'The Other Side' is still number one priority or my editor will strangle me. She wants another chapter yesterday. *g*

My one word of advise - if your Muse starts speaking, make sure she's telling you everything and not tricking you. She's a sly one.

Life is tricksy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment