Sunday, February 2, 2014

Enigmas

There are so many words I could use for this: the dictionary says it means something hard or difficult to explain.

I think that's what writing is. Or, more to the point, what publishing is.

The Writers' Ink group met today and our intrepid leader brought out an article quoting different authors about - writing. The five stated opinions that differed from what I've heard other authors say. Mainly, you don't have to write everyday, or for a specific number of hours, or a specific number of words. Sometimes you have to stop and smell the roses. Or take a canoe ride. Or visit with friends. Sometimes, you have to take a break.

Every time I've HAD TO stop writing, due to illness or the Muse flying to Timbuktu, I've felt guilty. Most times, I've still thought about my books and where I'm at and what's going to happen next, but the guilt doesn't care. It still gnaws at me.

I took heart from these authors. I suppose I've been drifting for awhile. And worrying myself sick (as if I wasn't physically sick) about why I wasn't writing. It was tearing me up inside. I worried that I wouldn't be able to write again if I didn't do it daily.

Mind you - this isn't saying that it's easy to pick up after you've let go for awhile. Starting to write again, after a hiatus no matter the cause, is one of the most difficult things I've ever done in my life. It's horrid. It's torture. But it can be overcome. 

I keep going to meetings and seminars and workshops and classes. I find this helps me feel that I'm still 'working' my craft. I don't feel quite to guilty. Though feeling guilty never gets me started writing again. *g*

I refuse to give up. I refuse to let a wayward Muse or an illness, keep me down forever. I hope.

Life is hope. 

PS - I rely on my friends, too, and they hate it. *g*

No comments:

Post a Comment