Monday, March 18, 2013

Accepting Compliments

All right. I know I'm ahead of the game, but there is something that I've discovered people don't know how to do.

That is: accept a compliment.

Incredibly important for when you get out onto the 'writers' circuit' with your book. Ah the joy of it all. Until someone comes up, hands you the book for an autograph, and says, "You've really changed my life with this book. I can't thank you enough."

You have to say thank you. That's all. A simple, heartfelt thank you. 

It seems difficult for people to say those two little words. I notice folk deprecate themselves. They say things like, "I really didn't write it. The Muse did." Or, "I'm not the best writer." Or other foolish things that our readers really don't want to hear. 

They are so happy to meet us (oh my gosh will that be fun!) and all they want to do is gush about themselves and to thank us for helping them come to terms with something in their lives, or take them away from the drudgery of their jobs, or encourage them to continue on. 

Our part is to simply say, thank you. I'm so glad you liked it. I'm so glad it touched you. 

Now - go and practice in front of a mirror. Clutch your manuscript to your chest (whether it's finished or not) and say, Thank you. I'm so very glad you stopped by. Would you like a copy for your sister? *g*

Oh! Oh! Don't forget to thank your critiquers, your writing buddies, your family and friends (long-suffering), and your agent/publisher. Start being full of thankfulness now so that, when the time comes, it will flow naturally and gracefully from your lips. 

Blessings and thanks to each and every one of my readers.

Life is thankfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment