Tuesday, December 25, 2012

# 29 Don't Worry: Be Happy

Listening to the Nutcracker on PBS yesterday. It was one of those educational programs that talked about what was happening during the creation of the piece by Tchaikovsky. Seems the first performance, it was panned by critics. Oh my goodness! I can't even imagine Tchaikovsky being critiqued. Can you??? The critiques were not good. In fact, Tchaikovsky seemed to be used to having his works torn apart. Some of the words used in the critiques were: insipid, ponderous, confusing. Here's a link to an actual performance. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atUsFzvDDF0

Now that I've got that out there, do you see where I'm heading with this? 

My editor stopped over the other day and we discussed 'Blue.' Nothing detailed. However, my editor bemoaned the fact that she has two books with her publisher that are languishing. She is frustrated. She was also critiqued at a recent SCBW conference and that, according to her, did not go well.

*deep breath*

Once again, I am learning to tell myself that I must be true to me. Don't worry about the book or what people say, but be happy with the creative process. If it's good, like the Nutcracker, it will burst forth and bear much fruit. I believe it is good.

Now onto another related moment -- James Patterson, author of the Alex Cross series among others, submitted his first book, The Thomas Berryman Number, to thirty-one publishers before it was accepted. He's sold over 260 MILLION copies of his books worldwide.
http://www.jamespatterson.com/index.php#.UNo54uT7K5I

This link is for the downtrodden. It's a hoot. Please go to it to make your day, so to speak. 50 Iconic Writers Who Were Repeatedly Rejected.  http://www.onlinecollege.org/2010/05/17/50-iconic-writers-who-were-repeatedly-rejected/

Don't get discouraged. William Saroyan had his first short story rejected SEVEN THOUSAND TIMES before it was published and Louisa May Alcott was told to stick to teaching. And Madeline L'Engle, one of my favorite authors, had her classic, A Wrinkle In Time, rejected TWENTY-SIX times! 'Gone With The Wind' -- was rejected THIRTY-EIGHT times!

Honestly, dear friends and fellow writers.... let us make a pact today NOT TO BE DISCOURAGED. I will forge ahead. I will keep putting my manuscripts out there. I will be published. 

Say it after me: I will be published.

Life is awesome. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, God bless!




No comments:

Post a Comment