Sunday, January 2, 2011

My Own Thoughts

I read once, not sure if I'm remembering it correctly, that Agatha Christie was not sure of her own writing.

I know I am not writing the Great American Novel (if there is such a thing), but I do so enjoy the writing. Well, I enjoy the story. I write to find out what happens. If I were not a writer and heard such a comment, I'd think the person was bonkers.... But now, I see that the story comes to me (usually with a beginning and an ending), but with nothing in between - and I desperately want to see how the hero / heroine survives, if at all. I want to know if the villain wins. I want to see what their friends do. Are they steadfast and true? Are they wishy-washy? Are they cowards or fakes?

That's the best part of writing.

The editing, as I've said before, can just destroy me - And the joy of the book. I hope I can survive the publishing process and still be able to write afterwards.

Deflating joy can be traumatic. And I think it is hard to get the joy back.

BUT - I will persist.

I know that's one of the reasons that I started 'Nothing But Blue Skies' in the midst of editing 'My Sword Sings.' It gives me the joy of writing, while I wallow in the quagmire of editing.

Good luck to you!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, yes, like the time I told my sister that I had to be sure I "got the story right." She looked at me like I was slightly mad, and said, "They're your characters; whatever you write will be right." How could I explain that the characters weren't really mine but themselves, and I needed to be true to them? I'm not looking forward to the editing process, though I know it's necessary for a better story because the editor will see things I didn't because I'm too close to it.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete