Tuesday, June 4, 2013

What Am I Looking For

A wise woman I know told me: People find what they are looking for. If you are looking for rejection, you will find it. If you want friendship, you'l find it. Etc. Etc. Etc. 

I think it means I've got to be positive about my wants. Because, really, who on earth wants yucky stuff! I'm wondering if this is kin to the 'shooting oneself in the foot' syndrome. I know I have that malady. *g*

My writing buddy says I have a dark outlook. I've always blamed that on 'The Troubles,' being as I'm Irish. Perhaps that's taking it a bit far. I do find I expect the worst. It's not that I'm a pessimist, God forbid, but I have seen too much life, I think, and therefore, understand that there are storm clouds on most horizons. 

I suppose it's the cup is half-full thingee muhbobber. Some would look for the silver lining. It's not that I'm not looking, hoping, and praying for a silver lining. I just happen to see the black lining. *g*

Went to my writers' class tonight and got some great feedback and help from my classmates. I presented my synopsis. They were most generous in their praise of it. They all said synopses are very difficult to do. I had to object. This synopsis was beyond easy. BECAUSE - I kept a running listing of each chapter in the book as I wrote it. Only three or four sentences describing what happened in each chapter, but it was enough that, when I cut and pasted it altogether, I had a good draft. After that, I cut or added where need be. I am so grateful my Muse kicked me in the butt and made me do this. 

I adjure you to keep a running synopsis. Don't wait til you're finished writing your book. Having to do character bios and cover letters and such are bad enough - but please, write two or three sentences summarizing each paragraph. When you're ready to write your synopsis, believe me, you'll thank me.

Again - what am I looking for? An agent. Right now - that's about it. 'Nothing But Blue Skies' is very close to being ready to send out. I've got my synopsis - probably a little longer than I would wish. I can cut it down if a particular agent's protocols demand, but it's ready. 

What am I looking for? Writer friends who will make my face shine as we share our journey and our joy. 

Life is searching.

No comments:

Post a Comment