Tuesday, June 11, 2013

My Life Flows On

There's an awesome hymn that I love. Simplicity itself - it resonates through my soul. Urban myth has it as a Quaker song, but it was written by a Baptist minister way back in the 19th century. (Robert Lowry)

When the children were little, I used to play it on the piano, after I'd put them to bed. I swear it blocked many a tormenting nightmare.

Brought to mind tonight as I watched the Tony's, I realized that I haven't been paying much attention to the words of this hymn, as of late. 'Through all the tumult and the strife.' Oh my. Doesn't that speak of what the blasted, blessed Muse pulls me through. I am shamed at my lack of confidence in her. I am shamed by my whining. 'What though the darkness gather round.' This writing process has so surprised, nay stunned me. I have no clue as to why I thought it would be easy, perhaps because I have been incredibly blessed by the fact that writing has been so easy. My Muse works overtime, bless her sweet soul. And I take her words and thoughts and images and put them on paper as if there was nary a thought to them.

In my naivete, no, more like my battiness (ins't that a fun word), I thought the editing and publishing process would be as simple. Watching those actors who perform four shows every week-end and God only knows how many during the week, I find my cheeks on fire with remorse and guilt and a bit of stupidity. Why should I think that it would be a piece of cake - and yet, here I am, only human and working with the culture and the upbringing that I have. I didn't know, plain and simple, that getting a book published is very hard work. I would put that in caps, but someone out there in the ethernet would say I was shouting. I want to shout. Getting a book published is hard work. I'm learning that. Forgive me for it taking awhile. I'm not dense, but batty.

I need to share the endings of those lines above - for I want to focus on the positive - though storms and tumult and darkness rage around me, with the help of friends and my Muse, I will keep singing. I will be published. I will rejoice.


Through all the tumult and the strife, I hear it’s music ringing.
It sounds and echos in my sould. How ccan I keep from singing?

And though the darkness ‘round me close, Songs in the night it giveth. 

Bless you, my dear readers, for continuing your support of my journey. You bring tears to my eyes.

This is James Loynes version.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uc1smOOs7A

Enya's got a great version, too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM8mOKfxmWw

Life is trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment