Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Support Or Life's Breath

I met with a writer friend the other day. We hadn't seen each other in quite a few months. I've not been able to attend our 'support' group. Before that, she hadn't been attending.

She told me that she came back because she realized she needed folks who accepted her as a writer. Her family and friends keep 'hoping' the fit will pass.

I think many of us are like this. We just don't have the support of family and friends. None want to hear what our 'character' is up to, nor how many query letters we've sent out, nor the fears that plague us.

It's important to have support. Writers' Ink is not a member-driven group. It's just a bunch of writers who get together and talk about life - not so much our writing - but the impact life has upon it. The chat and laughter emboldens us to continue on. If worse comes to worse and we bring in something that we're struggling over, the group listens and makes suggestions - but that's not what we're there for. We're there to support each other. To say, the fight is worthwhile. The joy of writing is worth everything. You're awesome. You're loved. You're accepted. Now, go out there and rock the world.

I need that. I believe it's why I'm still writing and focusing on publishing my stuff. I know I have people who have my back - no matter what.

Life if good.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful group! And what a perfect fit to my own blog post, today! Thanks, Sharron!

    ReplyDelete