Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Who's There

I know I'm not alone in this. I've heard others tell strange tales, too.

Sometimes, in the middle of the night, I hear my name called. Or I hear a name called. Something wakes me and voila, I know it's the Muse. She's been after me about 'Other' as of late. I have heard her chatting about my protagonist and how I have to decide some things.

Did you ever create a character and really love him/her? You know the feeling. As soon as the name flits into your mind, or you begin the first sentence about that character - you know you love him/her. Or you know they're going to be important.

Tolkien said his character, Faramir, just stepped into sight one day and the author knew he had to include this stranger into his work.

My character, Toff, is like that. I liked him from day one. I had some critiques wondering why he was lovable, why one of the window protagonists liked him so much without apparent cause.

I like him. That's about it. He's vulnerable and kind and slightly befuddled by the world around him. He's kind of an innocent.

I like him. That's about all I can say. I'm hoping to convey the dynamics of this character so my readers will like him, too. That's the important thing. If they don't like him, well - might as well toss the book. But I'll figure out how to make my readers like/love Toff. He's worth the trouble.

Life is worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment