Saturday, November 17, 2012

# 23 Twists And Turns

I was watching one of my favorite shows the other night on the Science Channel. It was a series called Firefly. The twist that the show had was that the prevailing language for the 'verse was Chinese. And most times, when the crew of the spaceship swore, it was in Chinese. The computer's voice in this series gave instructions in both English and Chinese. I loved that twist. The whole series is a tongue-in-cheek, cowboys-in-space thing, but it's fun. 

When I had 'Blue' critiqued by someone, they said it had the elements of a Cinderella story. I personally did not see this. The important thing, though, was that the critiquer thought it neat that the 'wicked witch' turned out to be an acerbic ally. He very much liked the twist.

I was explaining some of book two of 'Blue' to my editor. There was what she considered a twist in it, too. I didn't see it, but again, I was delighted that the Muse was keeping me 'honest' and twisting me around. 

Now that I'm in the midst of what I hope is my final edit, I will look for twists. If I don't find enough, I'll have to make some up. *g*

The latest edition of the SCBWI newsletter is awesome. There's a couple great articles. If you are anywhere near being a childrens' book writer (or YA or MG), join this group. The magazine is worth the fee.

On another note, my little one was telling me that I have to write so kids can understand. A friend had visited and shared her story with her. My little one didn't understand my friend's story at all. So she told me I've got to make what I write clear enough that its age appropriate and understandable. She said kids her age might not understand. Five and six year-old's or three and four year-old's might not understand. She said this was important. I do not doubt, though she says she is an artist first, that she will be writing her own books soon. She's already telling stories. I love her creativity and enthusiasm. 

FYI - I haven't been able to blog lately because I'm preparing for an adventure. I'm going to be gone for about a month, traveling. I hope to find a computer now and again. If I do, I'll post. If I don't, I'm not going to worry about it. Adventures are worth a lot. I'm off to New Zealand for the premiere of The Hobbit. Going with friends and meeting internet friends that I've corresponded with these past ten + years. 

Life is an adventure.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." JRR Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring. Chapter Three.. 

2 comments:

  1. Have the best time ever on your adventure! Send word when you can! Give any hobbits you meet a hug from me! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish a certain Man from Gondior was there! :)

    ReplyDelete