Saturday, November 10, 2012

# 20 Punctuation In Quotes

I was critiquing an MS for tomorrow's Skyline writers group. The author had some real difficulties with quotation marks. I was intrigued, wondering how someone could mess them up. 

Turns out - being American vs. the rest of the world - we've got different ways of doing things. So for myself - as a refresher - I looked into the bloody things. *g*

I don't have too much trouble with where to put the period or exclamation point or whatever when using quotation marks. But once in awhile, a situation arises and I question myself.

Best place to look is a DOT edu site.The nice thing about this website is - its got a quiz at the end. I do so love quizzes. 
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/quotation.htm  

I don't know why, but I love 'grammar girl.' See that tricky little quote mark!  http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/quotation-marks-with-periods-and-commas.aspx

And anything that has 'Purdue' in the title must be a good website. Musn't it?
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/577/01/

Oh! Oh! Question marks and exclamation points have different rules! Can you believe it? I'm going to find it difficult to sleep tonight! 

AND semicolons and colons are horses of a different color.

The English language (American style) will drive you to drink. Or at least giggle 'til you're sick!

Life is a giggle.

Psst - finished Chapter Forty-six and Forty-seven. Only one chapter left. I'm going to faint.

No comments:

Post a Comment