Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A Second Look

As I said last night, I am taking a second look at 'The Other Side,' my sci-fi adult novel. I'd had some hard critiques that stymied me, so I put it aside. The character needed an overhaul, according to my critiquer. I couldn't face that challenge. Sometimes, I find I'm a bit weak and sometimes, I'm stronger. I guess this is a 'stronger' time. 

I'm so glad I pulled it out. It's good. I know I said that last night, but it's really good. Ch. 11 is where the **** hits the fan. Upon a second look, it wasn't so bad. I was able to change a couple things that made the scene more plausible and the character more real. I'm very happy with where it's at.

So Ch. 11 is done and I'm onto Ch. 12, but as in all things, I've left it at a cliffhanger and I'm wondering where on earth it's going to go now. I have the ending, of course, I make it a point never to start a novel until I figure out the ending - less scary. And I know what's supposed to happen in this chapter, but I'm feeling kind of shivery. I hate shivery. It's what usually stops me from writing. Might be why other writers have taken to drinking. *heavy sigh* 

The novel's worth it, though, worth being a little scared. I love the characters. I'm excited by the plot. I can't wait to see what will  happen next - but it's like watching a horror movie and the kids see a door and they know they shouldn't open it and I'm in the theater, thinking 'Don't open it,' but they do and there's always a monster or an axe-wielding murderer behind it.

Phew! Ok. I'm going to jump in. That's the only way to do it. Wish me luck!

In the meantime, I signed up for a slew of computer classes at our local library. I do so love the library and all I can learn. They're nothing like when I was a kid. I suppose they had to change to get people to come in and use them. I've signed up for four classes and for a 'coffee' clatch, too. Then I'm signing up for a writers' class starting in January. I don't know the instructor and I might not stay with it, but I thought it best if I broaden my horizons. 

Life is horror. *giggle*

No comments:

Post a Comment