Thursday, October 31, 2013

Fires

I'm getting ready to go man the fire. I sit in the driveway and pass out candy while my daughter takes the little one trick-or-treating. It's fun. There's a fire pit and a wee bit of the hard stuff and lots of candy to 'snitch.' 

In the midst of it all are the kids with their costumes. It's a little difficult trying to discern who is what. I'm not up on the latest - though I do know all the Pony's names and the Monster High kids, even a Captain America or two. 

I love watching the kids interplay. They have a language all their own (one reason I will not write contemporary children's books). They have cliques. They do not hide their feelings. What you see is what you get. It's very interesting, for an author.

I spent some time today editing Ch. 2 of 'Blue.' My characters are a bit like that. Though court-raised, they have been sheltered and are not as mature as they should be. This will cause all kinds of problems for my hero/heroine, but it's fun writing.

I am trying to use 'like' more often. Not the like of a Valley Girl, but like, her red shoes, like pincushions, .... see what I mean. Likes are good for a story. They conjure images. Who doesn't know what a witch looks like when we hear the word. Especially at this time of year. It's hard to imagine likes for all the different situations we put our characters through, but my friend D insists that I have a great imagination and should put more in my writing. She's correct, of course. She pushes me and makes me better. A good friend.

Must get ready now. Still not sure of my costume and I'll be leaving in about an hour. Nothing like waiting til the last minute.

Happy Halloween.

Life is scary.   (Tolkien's Smaug)

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/category/events/events-contests/

2 comments:

  1. Hope you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I painted my face blue and wore blue clothes and went as 'Blue.' ROTFL Hope you had a fun week-end, too.

    ReplyDelete