Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I'm Back

I can't tell you how great it feels to finally have those cords attached to my computer. Every now and again I swear I could feel them trying to wrap themselves around my ankles.


Though the computer`s been down, I haven't been. I met with a friend per her request. God bless her, for some reason she thinks I write good dialogue. We had a great session. She read a small part of her book where she wanted to put in dialogue.


This is what I told her and what I do. Hope it helps.


I envision the scene as if I were watching a play. I see where each speaking character is standing/sitting/whatever. I've got to have that straight because body language speaks, too.


Then I recall the personalities of the speaking characters so I have continuity. I can't write dialogue that they wouldn't speak.


Last, I close my eyes and let the Muse do the rest. Trusting my Muse is imperative. I've done the groundwork. I know my setting, my characters, and what needs to be said. It works for me. I'm sure others have techniques that work for them.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for mentioning the body language! I've found myself having to change stuff because I realize they wouldn't be sitting or standing or whatever I had originally, not with what they were saying. I've dropped smiles, and put in shrugs, and taken out shakes of the head, and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great. Shrugs are awesome. I've forgotten about them. Have to add some!

    ReplyDelete