Saturday, November 4, 2017

To Be Or Not To Be...... Two Be Or Not Two Be.... Too Be Or Not Too Be....

One of those dratted to's keeps causing problems.  Meant to write this awhile back as my little one's English comp lesson focused on the trials and tribulations of the 'to' words.

Then today, on FB, sure enough, there it was. Someone shared: 'You can have your cake and eat it to.' Of course, it lacked an 'o.'  Someone commented that it was missing a zero. Well, of course, zero's and o's can get mixed up too, to, two ????

So here's a note - and enjoy the wonderful world of 'to.'

Too - not used as frequently - that's a tip.... 

Use instead of also, or besides, or very....  Or when something is excessive....

I like cake, too.  (also)

You are too kind.  (very)

It's too hot today! (excessively hot)


To - used a lot - another tip.... and it's a preposition. (sometimes)

I went to the bakery to pick up a cake.  (going towards something)

Will you bring that ball to me? (towards something)

Time to go to bed, sweetie! (going towards something)

Make sure to look both ways when crossing the street. (direction)

And to is an infinitive. (Yikes! Just means it's part of a verb.)

I'm going to smash that spider! (to smash)

You're going to fall, if you're not careful. (to fall)

OR -- (thoughts, feelings, speaking, trying)

I want to go with you. (to go) (feelings - I want)

He promised to love me forever. (feelings)

Try it yourself.... And if you've got a question as to how to use these, just put it in the comments and I'll try to help. (giggle)

She tried to/too do her homework all by herself.

I want to/too go with you, but I can't.

There are to/too many choices.

Do you have to/too go to/too?

Am I to/too fat?


Hope this helps. Of course, two simply means the number two.

Blessings,
Sharron









2 comments:

  1. Even better is: there/their/the're :)
    Gesine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah ha! I do ok with the there's..... but the blasted lie/lay/etc..... Shees!

    ReplyDelete