Monday, October 23, 2017

Sleeping and writing

Ah! In the old days, I used to stay up till four in the morning, writing with gusto and a wee bit of abandon. I put those days aside, after health issues forced me to keep regular intervals of sleep. This caused deep problems for my writing. My mind could not envision writing at 'normal' hours. I've read of authors who keep a nice schedule. Wake at eight, breakfast, write until noon, more sustenance, then continue writing until four or five. Leisurely dinner, perhaps a walk, time with the family, etc. etc. etc. Never did write that way.

I miss it. That furious scramble to get the words in before sunrise. The thrill of finishing a chapter. The apparent ease of completing a book.

Now, it's four o'clock in the morning and I can't sleep. My usual remedy is to get up, watch some old, but dear movie, and then try to go back to sleep. I'm wondering if I should just forget the healthy approach to writing and do it this way instead.

My dog, Pippin, does not approve. He sits on the bed, once in awhile woofing his displeasure, and waits for me to return. After a bit, he traipses to my desk, paws my dressing gown (it's really only a pajama, but the writer in me insists upon calling it a dressing gown), and growls. Not tonight, Pippin. Tonight I write.

Blessings to you all, continue writing, enjoying life, and being a friend.
Sharron

1 comment:

  1. I struggle with this, too. I miss the ability to write late at night, as I don't seem to get anything done during the day. During the day, my brain is tired, but at night my body is tired!

    Thanks for all the lovely reviews on LoG! I'm trying to get back into writing a new chapter -- when it's ready, I'll send it to you, I think you'll like it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete