Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Yikes! Conference Notes...

I have decided I must be a masochist. Believe me!

The seminar was very good. Chuck Sambuchino shared quite a bit with us, and, a lot of it, things I didn't know. He shared some good printouts with us. One thing that continually bothers me -- in this day and age of technology -- why people would present and not use a Power Point presentation??? I know the perils of presenting. I've been there -- even with a technician available, a huge presentation that I had prepared for a Utah LOTR convention didn't work. (Thankfully, I knew my material backwards and forwards and the audience seemed to be captivated anyhow. Who wouldn't be when it comes to Tolkien and New Zealand. :)_.)

Publishing options today.  Chuck had us look at what WE wanted and then use that to choose whether to self-publish or go the traditional route. Well, I'm still not sure. He also suggested that we try the 'agent' route first.

Agents:  Follow agents on Twitter. Querytracker.com. Publishersmarketplace.com

Query Letters: Gave us a great 7-point plan to pitch in a query letter. This was most interesting. More detailed than I've seen before.

First Page Reading / Critique:  He said he was being kind. I don't believe it. I was one of the few who had her work critiqued. He spent a lot of time on pajamas. I'll not go into it, but it was a tiny part of the first page and easily correctable. Why he focused so much time on that, I don't know.

And then -- dread after dread -- just shoot me now -- I can't believe it --

He suggested I start in a new place. Honest to goodness!!! Do you know how many times I have been told to start 'Sings' in a different place!!! The last time was at Skyline -- which I truly felt was valid -- where I chopped off THREE chapters.

My friend, D, had her's read, too, and all Chuck could say was, 'Weird. Perhaps if I had a cover letter to tell me about the story, I'd be able to say if it was good weird or bad weird.'  He couldn't figure out the main character -- whether it was a parrot (the character's surname is Parrot). Or if it was a kid. Yet, it distinctly stated the character had rubbed arthritis cream on his legs. What boy uses arthritis cream. I have to give Chuck the benefit of the doubt... No. He didn't listen. Or read. Oh well.

Social Media and Blogging: The interesting part of this subject was looking for a niche.  Loose subject connection -- meaning not having the blog talk about my book at all, but bringing it up every now and then, and having an image and link on the side of the blog of the book.  Altogether different blog - not associated with writing whatsoever but still with the image and links. And last, Writing focus -- which is what my blog tries to be. He also shared SEO -- Search Engine Optimization. Related key words that I should be using to help people find my blog (or FB or Twitter) account.

I left the seminar feeling demoralized, but I was not in the best of health that day. My friend, D, felt just about the same. Too numb to consider what had occurred. I was ready to chuck writing entirely, but today, after a good night's sleep, I have reconsidered. :)

Working on 'Sings' tonight. And will continue.

Blessings,
Sharron


2 comments:

  1. It sounds like he knew a lot about publishing, but that doesn't mean he was necessarily the best person to do a critique. My impression is he didn't try to understand what he was critiquing, and treated what he read in a general way, instead of trying to get into each individual story. That's not really the kind of critique either of you needed! Hope you can put the discouragement behind you and evaluate whether his advice for your stories is actually valid. It might not be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you, dearest friend and awesome author! May Oliphants run rampant in your life!

    ReplyDelete