Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Critique

Had a great session with my fellow writers at our latest Skyline meeting. Excellent group. Attentive, kind-yet-concrete suggestions, talented.

All of their critiques of my two submitted chapters were spot on. One suggested I start my tale in a different spot. This was not the first such suggestion for a change of first chapter; however, this one seems to work, doesn't hinder the flow, and moves the story in a more fast-paced way.

The difficulty lies in the fact that chapter two has a little sparring match between two women that I hoped would solidify the fact that my heroine is an action figure. If I delete the sparring match, I will lose that immediate sense of warrior-woman. The problem is, I very much like the book starting with chapter 3. Ack! I know it can be done. Means more rewrites, but isn't that the secret life of a writer - rewrites. :)

I will also lose my prologue battle. I do so love writing battles, but I know I can incorporate parts of it in another chapter. Such dilemmas are great, though, because it means I have written something.

Another problem area was the title for the king. I use Arild King as one of my ways of differentiating the different cultures of my three main allies. I fear it was a 'cute' and easy solution. Best it was brought to my attention. I have shifted it back to the more conventional King Arild. I'll figure out other ways to show the cultural differences. The use of 'cute' contrivances doesn't make for great writing.

Ah! Life is good and writing is part of that good life.

Blessings!
Sharron

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got some good critique that makes your story better! It's hard giving up our first plans but if you can reuse it elsewhere, that's a bonus!

    ReplyDelete