Monday, November 4, 2013

Tools

My kitchen was not stocked with enough tools. I made-do. If I needed one thing, I'd try to figure out how to use another in its place. We were on a very tight budget. I did well enough in the kitchen, but I began to think that if I had the right tools I could really do some fun food stuff. 

The same is true with writing. I've got to have the basics (cup, tsp, and tbs measurers, colanders, pots and pans with well fitting tops. A grater.) A thesaurus, a dictionary, a grammar book, good writing magazines. 

Once I've got those, and mastered them, then it's time for the extras. The conferences, the critique groups, the editor, the writing friends.

A friend shared a book with me recently. It's pretty darn good. Jennifer has input from about thirty different contributors. This is totally the business side of writing, much like the oven side of cooking. 
The Business of Writing by Jennifer Lyons. http://www.amazon.com/The-Business-Writing-Professional-Publishers/dp/158115917X

There is so much information to be had/found, but it must be used like salt. With care. Otherwise, the food will be unpalatable. My query letter will be garbage. My story arc will be flat.

Ah! This writing thing is no easy task. Sometimes, it doesn't even feel worth the struggle. And yet, when a phrase like 'his nose was like a red pincushion' comes to me, I get giddy with delight. Words are awesome, entrancing, uplifting, freeing.

Back to Ch. 3 of 'Blue' now. Keep writing and reading and learning and growing and having fun!

Life is hysterical.

No comments:

Post a Comment