Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Road Traveled Over And Over And Over....




I was going to title this the Road Less Traveled, but the road to publishing isn't less traveled. In fact, I'm asserting it is heavily trafficked. 

I have been sending out an MS for the last year or so. It's rather discouraging. I belong to the culture of today- that is - the culture that expects instant gratification. It's endemic to the American culture. Fast food restaurants are just one part of it. (I want this blog to be instant - it's not!)
(see the marshmallow experiment here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshmallow_experiment)

I'm trying to teach my little one to develop delayed gratification. It's an easier way of living, believe me. Consequences of this incredible instantness buffet us constantly. 

I blame my writers' blues on it. Why can't my manuscript be published the moment I'm done with it? Why doesn't the first publishing house it goes to not publish it? Why isn't an agent falling out of the woodwork?

Phew! Hard to live like that, I'm telling you.

I put up this next link the other day, but it is so good, I want to make sure everyone who is struggling to get published sees it. James Lee Burk is a very successful writer. But it took him forever to get published. None of this instantaneous stuff. His story is compelling and uplifting. 111 rejections over nine years.
http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/there-are-no-rules/if-youre-feeling-down-and-out-about-a-rejection-letter

Never quit. Never show anyone you're hurting. Never think you're a loser. Keep the rejections to autograph and sell. Could Burk's advise be any better?

A book recommended by WD tells about the battle to win the publishing prize. It looks good. I'll be getting over to the library and checking it out. (Sorry. Until I start selling my own stuff, it's mighty hard to buy other folks works. Though I always buy my friends books!)
http://www.writersdigestshop.com/the-art-of-war-for-writers-paperback?lid=ZPwdbl051013

There's a phrase that goes around. Paying your dues. I suppose I thought I'd paid my dues by writing my books. Not true. I'll be paying my dues all my life. I have to make that my mantra. It will help against the feelings of dejection when another rejection happens to float under my door.

The July/August edition of Writers Digest is awesome. There is one article by Fred Rosen called, It's A Wonderful Life. A great short ditty about what it's like to keep trying. Fred's path was difficult. I don't want to go down the same one. By listening to others experiences, I'll be better prepared to fight the battle and win the contract.
http://www.harpercollins.com/authors/30574/Fred_Rosen/index.aspx

In that same article is a quote from Ross Thomas who says, "Writing five hours is like ten hours of laying bricks." So the extreme fatigue I feel when I'm finished writing for the day is understandable. 
http://us.macmillan.com/author/rossthomas
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Thomas_(author)

Give yourself a pat on the back. Writing is awesome. And difficult. And uplifting. And debilitating. And if you're still working at it, throw some confetti around and exalt in your tenacity, your courage, and your strength.

Life is a challenge.




No comments:

Post a Comment